FDS Submission to the Inquiry into Recognition of Unpaid Carers
11 August 2023
Read our submission and support letter to the Unpaid Carers Parliamentary Inquiry here.
A special thank you to the Australian Alcohol and Drugs Council, Victorian Alcohol and Other Drug Association (VAADA), Yarra Drug and Health Forum, Students for Sensible Drug Policy Australia and Harm Reduction Australia for endorsing the submission.
We as a collective believe:
- Families affected by the substance use and associated co-occurring needs are a hidden population of carers.
- The majority of such family members are female identifying, talking to the gendered nature of unpaid care.
- Stigma and discrimination due to drug policies and laws, prevent families from accessing support.
- Specialised, tailored programs are needed to adequately respond to the unique experiences of families in this situation.
- Investing in support programs for families and carers is progressing gender equity standards throughout Australia.
We acknowledge the often, invisible work of many families who continue to provide their family members with hope and opportunities. This is nothing short of lifesaving work.
Read here: 20231108_-_FDS_Submission_to_the_Inquiry_into_the_recognition_of_unpaid_carers.pdf