The following steps can help you recognise an express your anger:
- Recognise when you are angry – shouting in a loud and angry voice, "I am not angry", is not recognising your anger
- Accept that it is OK and human to get angry
- Identify the source of the anger – who or what is causing the anger?
- Understand why you are angry
- Identify the feelings that your anger is masking
- Find positive and effective ways to express your anger and release tension
- Understand that negative or abusive forms of expressing anger are never OK – this includes emotional and physical abuse and other violent behaviours
- Practice forgiveness for yourself as well as the drug user
Written and adapted by Tony Trimingham from various sources, especially the website of ADFAM, UK. Adfam is a similar organisation to FDS in the United Kingdom and they do excellent work supporting families of drug users.